HDCP break and DMCA

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Nov 25 20:25:57 PST 2001

On Sunday, November 25, 2001, at 06:51 PM, F. Marc de Piolenc wrote:

> Tim May wrote:
>>
>> There were signs up about not violating copyright law, but these
>> professor packs were in clear violation.
>
> Really? Sounds to me like they fall under "Fair Use." That provision
> specifically exempts copying for research or education.

I strongly doubt this. "Fair use" is not about setting up alternate
publishing schemes, but is about quoting relevant sections, collecting
material for research purposes, etc.

If it were as broad as you claim, why would _any_ school buy textbooks
for its students when it could make a photocopy for a fraction of the
cost? Schools could simply digitize textbooks once and then distribute
them on CD-ROM.

I'm not a copyright expert, but I strongly doubt what you say above.

--Tim May
"That government is best which governs not at all." --Henry David Thoreau