Moving beyond "Reputation"--the Market View of Reality

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Sun Nov 25 19:30:22 PST 2001

At 03:05 PM 11/25/01 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>For many years some of us have argued strongly for "reputation" as a
>core concept. Someone, perhaps even one of our own, even coined the
>phrase "reputation capital."

I recently posted how ground squirrels have rep cap.

>Reputation is an easily understandable concept which explains a lot
>about how imperfect protocols in the real world nevertheless "work." I
>won't go into what reputation is, even as defined by folks like us.

It seemed to be something like hits & false alarm (and probably
misses and correct rejections) counts for squirrels.  The same info
is of use to neurons.  Various computer learning algorithms too.
An efficient use of persistant state, one would expect.

>1. The assumption that an agent or actor possesses a "reputation." A
>kind of scalar number attached to a person, a bank, an institution, or
>even a nym.

Two kinds of entities: one maintains reputations, the other doesn't.
Guess which is exploited to extinction?

Again CPunks -or other analysts- are not *advocating* nearly as much as some
might like to believe; instead IMHO there is a public discussion
going on about essentially inevitable trends we've observed.