HDCP break and DMCA

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Nov 25 13:10:34 PST 2001

What makes you, Incognito, believe the DMCA may "criminalize" the
publication of a scientific paper? What makes you believe that
Niels Ferguson's worry was not hyperbole, or a PR stunt designed
to garner press? What makes you think that a scientific paper
would generate even civil liability?

The DMCA may be a terrible law, sure, but let's keep criticisms
grounded in reality. The relevant section of the DMCA is only
a few pages long; let's hear how this could apply to scientists.

-Declan

(Note Dmitry has been indicted because he and his company were selling
software to circumvent copy protection.)