IP: Wanna make biological weapons and take out cities? $10. (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Nov 22 08:19:01 PST 2001

Nobody is saying that free expression includes inciting a riot or
soliciting murder. But it does generally include the right to write a book
(and read it) without being targeted by the government. What you wrote that
raised eyebrows was this:

>I sure hope that the government is investigating and following each and every
>person who buys a copy of this book... I wonder if there's a way to force
>Tobiason to foot the bill for that security?

There are plenty of books I can think of -- almost all of the Loompanics
catalog -- that would fret some government official. David Burnham's books
on the IRS and DOJ abuses of power are another. But I hardly think it's
consistent with the First Amendment to investigate the people who buy them,
or make the authors pay "protection money" for the privilege of publishing.

Then you wrote in the message below:
>How many sets of these "terrorism cookbooks" do you let fall
>into the hands of psychotics?  We already don't sell guns to convicted
>felons...
>  gee, that sounds to me like "prior restraint"... or do you think THAT's
> wrong,
>too? There are some things that are so terrible that you simply can't wait to
>prosecute or criminalize until AFTER the fact of their happening.

My translation of that is "we must require background checks on people who
buy books, newspapers, or magazines" that some FBI officials dislike. (I
look forward to seeing how you'll extend this to the Internet. AdultCheck,
anyone? How about posts on the cypherpunks list or other fora that include
more scientific or technical information than you feel comfortable with?)
My translation of your last sentence is "we must criminalize the
publication of certain technical or scientific information just because
some bad people may get their hands on it." Comparing background checks for
gun purchasers (in an approving way) to background checks to books is just
nutty.

Now do you see why your post is so at odds with the principles of a free
society? If not, I'm not sure you're educable on this issue.

-Declan