Weizmann Institute Amazes World Again

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Nov 21 22:08:41 PST 2001

On Wednesday, November 21, 2001, at 09:45 PM, Eric Cordian wrote:

> You know, when I saw the headline for this story, the words "Weizmann
> Institute" immediately leaped into my head.
>
> It's just that certain something about Weizmann Institute press releases
> that reminds me of University of Utah press conferences back in the days
> of Cold Fusion.
>
> In any case, the folks at the Weizmann Institute are now claiming to
> have
> developed the "trillion would fit in a test tube" DNA computer.
> "We have built a nanoscale computer made of biomolecules that is so
> small
> you cannot run them one at a time. When a trillion computers run
> together
> they are capable of performing a billion operations," Professor Ehud
> Shapiro of the Weizmann Institute in Israel told Reuters on Wednesday.
>
> It is the first programmable autonomous computing machine in which the
> input, output, software and hardware are all made of biomolecules.

Sounds like the same DNA computing that Adleman was doing several years
ago.

Also sounds like the same Ehud Shapiro who used to do some good work in
Flat Concurrent Prolog (FCP), a model for much of the work in Joule and
E.

A good thing the Department of Hype was brought in to co-author the
scientific press releases.

--Tim May
"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around." --attribution uncertain, possibly Gunner, on Usenet