Risks of belief in identities

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Nov 21 18:05:13 PST 2001

It's important to be clear about what characteristics of a national ID
card are objectionable. Among those may be a requirement that it be
shown on demand, that it be tied to databases that track movements,
etc. What is disturbing about a national ID card is not the fact that
it's standardized, for instance, but an array of features that could
crop up elsewhere.

It is possible to imagine a scenario where a database-linked,
biometric-tied system using driver's licenses is worse -- that is,
more privacy-invasive -- than some forms of a "national ID card."

I posted more on a SiliconValley.com roundtable recently:
http://forums.siliconvalley.com/discussion/msgshow.cfm/msgboard=5968009897410465&msg=8036926450156813&page=1&idDispSub=5145094516046185

-Declan