Pricing Mojo, Integrating PGP, TAZ, and D.C. Cypherpunks

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Wed Nov 21 12:54:44 PST 2001

At 01:00 AM 11/21/2001 -0500, dmolnar wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, dmolnar wrote:
>

> > > Isn't this a description of Hawala?
> >
> > Maybe. I regret I'm not familiar with Hawala. I'll go google it.
>
>Gee, it's even in the cypherpunks archives. Sorry, everyone.
>
>Yes, as described sure sounds similar. The point of doing it over PayPal
>would just be to make it easy for people on this list to pay Nomen. Even
>though hawala works in the real world, I'm not so sure we could just start
>it and expect it to work here.

PayPal is a poor choice due to fraud and repudiation issues. From a
transactor's viewpoint one should only exchange harder for softer money
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:srzsJTHS-xE:www.coconutgold.com/mayscale.html+mayscale&hl=en

However, eGold would be excellent: no repudiations.

First you must identify and reach your potential customers.  Does anyone
know where I could get a relatively list of hushmail addresses?

>One thing that came to mind while reading about it -- does it buy us
>anything in a MIX-net to separate control messages from payload messages?
>This came to mind because one of the descriptions of the hawala network
>seemed to imply that payment would come in from one source and then the
>name of the recipient would come in from another.
>
>The analogy in a MIX-net for e-mail would be having a message delivered to
>a MIX, and then later forwarding instructions for that message delivered
>by someone else. (said instructions identifying message by hash or
>something). Another way to look at this is putting delay in the hands of
>the client. Not clear to me that it helps; maybe make an adversary think a
>certain node is the final destination? I can't think of a MIX design off
>the top of my head which does this. Anyone else? something like this
>discussed way back when?

Does using eGold change the MIX characteristics or feasibility?

Possible downsides
http://www.goldbankone.com/article.php?sid=77

steve