Pricing Mojo, Integrating PGP, TAZ, and D.C. Cypherpunks

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Nov 20 21:18:41 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:57:23AM -0000, Anonymous wrote:
> Supposing you and others were willing to pay Nomen a modest sum for this
> service, how could you do so using Paypal or Amazon, and allow him to
> retain his anonymity?

Ah, but I never said I'd pay for it -- I said it might be a better use
Nomen's time than pointless flaming or somesuch.

But going with your hypothetical, Nomen could find a trusted party
with sufficient reputation capital and allow them to run the Amazon
service for him/her in exchange for a small fee. Amazon requires
a credit card number, billing address, and checking account number
for a "merchant account."

Heck, I'd do it, for a sufficient expected fee, assuming legal
content, and I suspect other folks would too, for different
definitions of "expected fee."

How I would give a check or money order to Nomen is another
problem. Perhaps he/she would like a copy of something I could
download for a fee, encrypt, and send via a remailer or place in a
Usenet newsgroup?  Etc.

I never claimed that Amazon/Paypal are sufficient for all cypherpunkly
purposes; that is trivially untrue. But they may be sufficient for some
tasks.

-Declan