Pricing Mojo, Integrating PGP, TAZ, and D.C. Cypherpunks

Greg Broiles gbroiles at parrhesia.com
Tue Nov 20 22:54:02 PST 2001

At 11:45 PM 11/20/2001 -0500, dmolnar wrote:
> > distribution.  Unfortunately the MN network lacks compelling content
>
>Right - it's for optimizing load balancing and data distribution. Roughly
>stated, it seems to me to be a DoS prevention mechanism. It's not at all
>clear that Mojo will ever be meaningfully convertible to "real" money, at
>least not to me. but then again, I'm often unclear.

Very early in its lifetime, the Autonomous Zones/Mojo Nation people said
that maybe Mojo would someday be exchangable with real cash, though the
assumption was that during the early stages of software development, people
were playing with worthless currency for proof-of-concept, and that at some
point the old Mojo would be useless or disabled, and people would start
using New Mojo instead, where New Mojo might have real value.

Since then (that description is meant to be of the state of the Mojo Nation
in October 2000 or so), they've abandoned plans for making Mojo valuable
and/or convertible to other currencies, and it is only intended as a
resource allocation tool and/or DoS prevention mechanism.

As far as I know - I stopped paying close attention to them when they
shifted focus from a currency-based publishing system to a load-balanced
content delivery system - they also give out all the Mojo you care to ask
for, free, 10 million Mojos at a time - so it seems very unlikely that the
current tokens will ever be convertible to real value, given that sort of
inflationary history.

And that problem seems to be at the center of Nomen Nescio's sotto voce
suggestion that some unnamed cypherpunks work up a currency which can be
used to "pay" people for providing information which is of value - I get
the impression that s/he is imagining some magic fairy would mint up piles
of the currency, and assign it equally to every subscriber, who would then
be empowered to pay it to the content providers they liked best.

That's very warm and fuzzy and hippy-like, but if these tokens are handed
out for free, then what, exactly, is their value?

I think the Extropians did something like that, which ended in some sort of
fiasco which some cypherpunks were involved in, though I don't know the
details and was never a participant in that list/social circle.

--
Greg Broiles -- gbroiles at parrhesia.com -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961
5000 dead in NYC? National tragedy.