"quitting havenco", not quite!

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Tue Nov 20 14:48:34 PST 2001

> Ryan and the other HavenCo folks deserve *massive* kudos for this.
> (now, when is the HavenCo remailer going online? :-)

The remailer has been up since 16 September 2001, and was announced to
this list among others.  http://remailer.havenco.com/

Next thing coming is "mail.havenco.com" with:
* [SSL] IMAP/POP3/HTTP/SMTP with domain hosting for customers (point
  your domain MX at us, we'll resell mail accounts using your domain
  name and give you a percentage)
* PGP Keyserver (this is not my favorite software..)
* PGP auto-keysigner which does "proof of control of email address" ID
  signing; KDC for HAVENCO.COM, maybe x509 stuff.  Would be good for
  gale keys as well.
* Local mail archives (SSL, same URL as mail.havenco.com to provide
  cover traffic), googleified.
* Ideally some linkage to instant messaging as well -- SMS to email or
  email to SMS gatewaying, various IMs, whatever.  I have this for
  myself, but it's hard to figure out how to scale.
* Mailing list creation and management
* Some decent linking to remailer network; store/forward messaging
  over remailers, links to reply-block style remailers.  Ease of use
  is more important for most people, so an anonymously-purchased imap
  mailbox is probably good enough in most cases.  Probably start just
  by keeping remailer.havenco.com and mail.havenco.com on the same
  subnet with postfix-tls between the two.
* *maybe* links to some kind of weblog/blog system (I'd actually like
  to write an RFC on how to share "friends" functionality" between these
  systems; it's a semi-complex database issue to do efficiently.)
  although this is pretty far from mail.

* also, continue adding mirrors of various software

Independently of havenco (well, using a purchased box):
* Someone is setting up a file-storage thing with web interface on
  Sealand; might be designed to avoid public-content-hosting, just
  private, not sure.

Followed by: (I have them for myself now, not commercial-grade yet)
* Anonymizing proxy on Sealand, cover general traffic as well as
  havenco-destination traffic.  Free and no ads to havenco-destination
  sites; free and ads and rate-limiting to elsewhere, or subscription.
* VPN services to Sealand (PPP over SSH, some other tools)

Followed by: (unlikely to even break-even)
* Sourceforge-type offshore software development system (basic, will
  roll out features over time).  Will charge for resources, but then
  people can sponsor individual projects, and I'll sponsor ones which
  are either technically or socially interesting.  cvs, a build and
  test farm, www and ftp, links to the mail system, trouble ticketing,
  maybe some links to make it easy to develop and deploy code from the
  same interface (if it's a simple "web service" or something like that)

  The main projects which would benefit are "underground" things like
  dvd players with decss built in (Ogle), or various p2p projects, or
  general circumvention technology, or maybe crypto.  Sourceforge does
  what it does quite well, so for general-purpose code, it's probably
  the best place to host.

I hope to have something as good as sourceforge by summer 2002.  The
mail stuff is mostly done and just in testing, and working out
support/payment issues, so it should be ready in December.

Ryan Lackey				ryan at havenco.com
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.
the free world just milliseconds away	http://www.havenco.com/
OpenPGP 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B  DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F