The Crypto Winter

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 20 07:58:32 PST 2001

At 09:19 PM 11/19/01 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>C-A-C-L's would let people die from thirst before interfering in a 'free
>market'. Others would say screw the market and give that man a drink.

No, a libertarian would say "screw anyone who'd initiate force
against me to make me to do this" and then make his own decision.

>> 2. redundant ('capitalist' and libertarian)
>
>Not congruent.

Capitalism is a natural result of free people.

>> 3. nonsensical --cryptography is a neutral technology with debatable
>> social consequences
>
>Technology is 'neutral' only within in a 'pure' context. The instant
>'psychology' gets injected, as in 'how do I use this?', all bets are off.
>Technologies have consequences. The failure of most is in not realizing
>the only hope is to discover and distribute as fast as possible. Anything
>else leads to failure of the system.

So Jim suppose we just invented metals.   You go debate its
social consequences, I've got some forging to do.

>> 4. one poster's label; and anyone can post here
>
>More an observation of shared motive of a particular segment of the other
>posts (who self-apply these labels mind you).

More an explanation of signal to noise ratio for future historians.