HOWTO Build a Nuclear Device

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 11:50:47 PST 2001

A propaganda weapon doesn't have to work, it just has to present a
threat of working to people who may or may not understand how it is
meant to work. It doesn't have to be a credible military weapon. A
kamikaze airliner isn't a credible *military* weapon against anyone who
can afford artillery. That didn't stop them though.

The tall pipe that others mentioned would work well enough to scare
people - all you need to do is find a way of convincing others that
you've done it. One idea was to set one up in a tall block of flats. You
know the sort where there is a 6-inch gap between flights of stairs in
the stairwell, so if you stand at the top and look down you see right to
the basement. There are abandoned 19 or 20 story blocks in grotty
suburbs of London with stairwells like that, I bet the same is true of
most big cities. You only have to break in for a single day.  You set a
number of lumps of U one above the other in such a way that when a
higher one falls onto one below it will take it with it - maybe just tie
them to the railings with thread, and put some old metal plates in the
way to stop them bouncing out of the stack. Use lumps of lead for
testing.

The topmost one can be released by any simple mecahnism. You then assert
publically that when the top one is dropped they will all cascade down
and assemble a critical mass on the floor below.   Hey presto, one big
propaganda coup, one mass panic and evacuation of big city. The building
will probably still be standing after it goes off, or fails to, but who
will want to be first in?

Ken Brown