The Crypto Winter

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Nov 19 16:39:47 PST 2001

At 12:55 PM 11/19/01 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 12:36 PM, Faustine wrote:
>> Haven't you ever been in a discussion/argument/presentation about
>> computer
>> security with someone, and at some point you notice that moment when
it
>> finally
>> registers, you know that it really penetrated something...and they
must
>> have
>> that sickening queazy little feeling in the pit of their stomachs
when
>> they
>> say:
>>
>> "Oh my God, I had no idea".
>
>No, I can't say that I have. I have never wasted my time trying to
>convince sheeple that they need to make backups, put good locks on
their
>doors, use encryption, not give their SS numbers to others, and so on.

Besides, the news/experience does a good job.  Events like bin Laden
Airlines (for off-site backups),
any number of virii and worms (for avoiding MS tools and not clicking
random things),
and random kipple (like disk failures reminding of the need for backups)
eventually teach
what mere words do not.