Pricing spare resources and options?

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 19 10:02:56 PST 2001

On 18 Nov 2001, at 22:30, Greg Broiles wrote:

> It seems like there ought to be an interesting market here, but I know and
> worked with several people (with good financial backgrounds) who flogged
> this for awhile and never got anywhere. I guess a big part of the problem
> is that there's such a big difference in the perceived value of a
> megabyte/month of online storage .. if you're on the provider side, you
> think that's pretty expensive, as you've got the investment & etc required
> in building a data center, providing bandwidth to reach customers, paying
> staff, etc - but if you're on the customer side, you look at an 80 Gb drive
> at Fry's in the Sunday newspaper for $160 and think about a $500 1.5mb/s
> frame relay connection, and wonder why the service guys want $3 per
> Mb/month ..

They STILL want this kind of price? I remember back in 96
looking at some prices for web hosting and thinking
"hmm,  these guys are getting their investment back in
about 2 weeks, and everything after that is profit. That
can't last".

> and then the Mojo guys come along and make it sound like the people with
> the cheap frame relay connections and commodity PC hardware ought to be
> able to set up data centers in their back bedrooms or on their old laptops,
> but so far all of the business models proposed involve paying those guys up
> front for an indefinite period of storage, so there's no strong incentive
> to actually store the data for long, especially not if you can resell that
> same disk space 3 or 4 or 50 times.

I played around with MN for a while, one of the things that
disapointed me was that you tend to lose mojo just by
running the client.  It seemed to me that the idea that
everything you do should involve a cost one way or another
was a mistake, it seemed to me that the housekeeping/say
hello kind of stuff shuld be free.  Publishing also, since 1)
there's no guarentee that the site you publish blocks to
will keep them for any nonzero length of time and 2)
Theoretically the people you publish to will expect to make their
"profit" from other people requesting those blocks.

Of course, it's unlikely that Mojo will actually ever cost/be worth
anything, but that's beside the point; assuming that pretty much
invalidates the whole system.

A distributed backup/storage system seems like it ought to be
pretty easy to develop, but of course up front payment doesn't
work at all. You'd need some kind of challenge/response system
to verify that the storers are actually keeping the data, you'd need
lots of redundancy since it doesn't really help you to know that
some bozo dumped the only copy of your critical data,
but if you have like 20 copies out there and you continually
verify that they're all keeping your data (if some of tem lose it,
just replace those guys) it seems like you should be safer than you
would be using a standard commercial service. And at the prices
you mention earlier, vastly cheaper.

> Greg Broiles -- gbroiles at parrhesia.com -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961

George