De-Macrovisioning Hardware

mean-green at hushmail.com mean-green at hushmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:57:16 PST 2001

At 10:31 PM 11/18/2001 +0100, Anonymous wrote:
>A number of people are selling the "Sima SED-CM" for anywhere between $25
and $60, which will supposedly remove Level 1 Macrovision.  Sima makes a
more pricey device, the "Color Corrector" which claims it will remove both
level 1 and Level 2.

>Does anyone have any experience with either of these?  I've got diagrams
for building my own device, but estimate parts at a minimum of $80, not
accounting for soldering time.  (I'm specifically looking for a device
that will take RCA in, perform its job, and give me an RCA out.)

I've had a Sima SCC for over six months.  It works flawlessly on every DVD I've thrown at it.

>Until very recently, when I acquired a new laptop with a DVD player, I was
oblivious to the fact that content providers had so thoroughly spread
their poison as to reach the legitimate attempts of user Alice to route
her laptop's tv-out through Alice's vcr, so as to watch a DVD on a 21" tv
instead of a 14" LCD.

>Plan B is, of course, to continue ripping DVDs to my HDD, remove the
Macrovision, and contribute the compressed results to the body of DivX ;-)
works out there.

I tried DivX but later changed to sVCD.  At the higher bit rates its virtually broadcast quality, much better than VHS (even S-VHS), and you can cut CDs to play on many home theater DVDs and on any Windows laptop using PowerDVD.  Great for time shifting your DVD rentals ;-)