Pricing spare resources and options?

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 18 10:44:28 PST 2001

Hey,

The recent comments on Mojo Nation prompted me to look at their site
again. I don't see much guidance on how to set prices for network
services. There's a mention someplace that business customers will build
pricing schemes on top of Mojo Nation, but not much indication of what
these schemes might be.

So what is the "right" way to price resources? (Preferably beyond the
obvious "supply and demand.")

Fleet announced at Hettinga's DCSB that they were developing some kind of
spare resource market. I couldn't make it. Does anyone know whether they
addressed this point?

A related question - I ran into a friend of mine who had just finished an
internship in options trading. He suggested it might be worth looking at
options on spare disk space or other resources, as a means of figuring out
how to make Mojo-type systems eventually profitable in the real world. Now
I have a copy of Natenberg's _Option Volatility and Pricing_ to look at...

-David