IP conference: copyright law has gone too far

Marcel Popescu mdpopescu at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 02:44:52 PST 2001

From: "Steve Schear" <schear at lvcm.com>

> IP conference: copyright law has gone too far
> The recording industry and the Business Software Alliance squared off
> against the Electronic Frontier Foundation and US Rep. Rick Boucher
> Wednesday in a debate over laws such as the Digital Millennium Copyright
> Act aimed at protecting large copyright holders, with the hearts and minds
> of a crowd of Washington, D.C., decision-makers as the prize.

"I think I can safely say that history of the 21st Century is going to be
about the struggle between open systems and closed systems, which was what
you saw engaged on 11 September in a very pointed way," Barlow said. "This
is going to be an interesting and complex struggle, because it is in the
nature of open systems to breed closed systems, since for example, an open
system like a free-market economy tends to gravitate toward a natural
monopoly, which is a closed system."

Too bad he's clueless.

America seems to be divided between pro-government and anti-government
lefties. And they're not even consistent about the camp they belong to.

Mark