HOWTO Build a Nuclear Device

F. Marc de Piolenc piolenc at mozcom.com
Sat Nov 17 03:19:02 PST 2001

A couple of corrections from somebody who began studying this threat
fifteen years ago.

There is little danger to weapons builders from exposure to fissile
materials, because they have very little spontaneous radioactivity. The
radioactive emissions come when the device goes supercritical during
detonation. You can actually hold a subcritical mass of plutonium in
your hand for awhile - I'm told it feels warm. Can't say I've tried it
myself.

Plans for a nuclear device are easy enough to come up with - college
kids regularly cause silly-season sensations by publishing "plans" for
hydrogen bombs. You can't classify the basic physics, and the data for
controlled nuclear reactions is equally applicable to deliberate
fast-prompt-critical runaways, which is what nuclear bombs are. What's
difficult is not the material, or the material processing, but the
detonator TECHNOLOGY. Even that is not a problem if you have LOTS of
U-235 or U-233 (plutonium won't work), because you can than use a
gun-type device - very heavy and wasteful of material, but workable as
proven by Hiroshima's fate.

An implosion device (and only an implosion device can be made small)
requires the simultaneous (to within microseconds) detonation of perhaps
32 composite shaped charges surrounding a spherical "core" and tamper
shell. The manufacture of the charges is very demanding, but the
manufacture of the detonators and switches (Krytrons) is the province of
maybe four or five firms in the entire world, all carefully monitored by
their respective governments. With a full set of _Exploding Wires_, lots
of time and extensive manufacturing support, you could eventually get a
set of krytrons with the necessary specs. Judging by the number of
recent attempts to smuggle krytrons from established sources, however,
this has not yet been accomplished by Saddam, Bin Laden or any of their
ilk.

I'm not losing any sleep over this "threat."

Regards,
Marc de Piolenc

--
Remember September 11, 2001 but don't forget July 4, 1776

Rather than make war on the American people and their
liberties, ...Congress should be looking for ways
to empower them to protect themselves when
warranted.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin