HOWTO Build a Nuclear Device

baptista at pccf.net baptista at pccf.net
Sat Nov 17 00:37:14 PST 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Tim May wrote:

> I'd guess that the "tall pipe" version is the most buildable of the
> basement nukes. (In a nutshell: a tall drainpipe, perhaps 40 feet tall.
> Set up in an apartment building, warehouse, etc. At the base the pipe is
> reinforced with copious amounts of concrete. The subcritical masses are
> at opposite ends of the pipe. The mass on top is piled on with several
> hundred pounds of ballast, to "tamp" the early critical mass action. To
> explode the bomb, drop the mass from the top of the pipe. The critical
> mass is briefly contained by the concrete collar around the pipe and the
> inertial mass above. Is it enough to produce a real chain reaction?
> Well, it's all relative. Still, not very efficient.)

I very much doubt terrorist would build an efficient bomb.  Non of what we
discussed is effcient.  Your pipe idea is a very interesting example.  But
I think the point is made that harm can be done.  Even if the mass does
not go critical - it still means a few city blocks that will be
inconvenienced from the resulting radiation.  You pipe certainly would not
go boom - but it would leave a mess of radioactivity in the area.

regards
joe

--
The dot.GOD Registry, Limited