HOWTO Build a Nuclear Device

baptista at pccf.net baptista at pccf.net
Sat Nov 17 00:18:31 PST 2001

Now - i've replied to you below - but I think were missing the point of
the post.  So i'll repeat - it's easy to do harm when you have the will to
die to rally your cause - as we have seen on sept 11.  and i find it
regrettable that conditions exist in which people use extreme methods
to focus the people of this planet on the fact that western governments
are basically evil.

Now the remainder of my reply is not much more then having a physics
discussion - which i think is not the point - but --

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Tim May wrote:

>   Uranium is not malleable in the same way either gold or silver are.

I said it was malleable - it can be worked.  maybe not the same way or
gold or silver - but as you can see from the periodic table it is
malleable.  I personally have never worked it.  But i have seen a few
pelets in my lifetime.

> Nearly all metals are malleable to some extent (in that they don't
> shatter when subjected to shear forces), but I was responding to your
> "beat the metal in a stainless steel bowl" idea. Good luck on beat U
> this way!

Possible - never build one myself.  I would assume that if it is harder to
work then gold - then just get very thick stanless steel bowls.  I'm sure
you'd need a few trials to figure it out.

> A chart of the rigidity moduli for the elements gives a good idea of why
> U is not normally considered very malleable:
>
> http://www.webelements.com/webelements/properties/text/image-
> intensity/rigidity-modulus.html

oy

> Also, I don't get what you mean by saying it has a luster when polished.
> Yeah, all metals do..until they oxidize/tarnish/anodize.

just what it means - so your right - it shares that characteristic with
other metals.

> The chunks of uranium I used to work with were pure metallic...and dark
> grey/black.

sounds unrefined or badly oxidized.  I've never seen chunks of
uranium.  Was this in it's unrefined state.  What was it
exactly.  Pitchblende?

regards
joe

--