HOWTO Build a Nuclear Device

Petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Nov 16 22:34:53 PST 2001

On Friday, November 16, 2001, at 09:08 PM, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 11:20 PM 11/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>> \Divide the U-235 into two five pound masses.  Beat it evenly into the
>> inside of one of your salad bowls.  U-235 is malleable like gold so you
>> should have no problem shaping it.  Do the same with the other U-235
>> mass
>> and shape it into the other salad bowl.
>
> My recollection is that all Uranium metal isotopes are much harder and
> denser than steel.  That's why depleted uranium
> 238 its used for armor piercing ammunition.

	IIRC it's heavier, not harder (more mass for the size). Lead and
Gold (as the !Dr mentioned) are both (cm^3 for cm^3) heavier than steel,
and both are "softer". Both also make (in the material sense) better
bullets for certain types of targets, with the exception that gold is a
lot more expensive than lead, and far more useful as bait for the things
you want to shoot.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong.