"Rigorous and objective" (if at first...)

Gil Hamilton gil_hamilton at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 19:33:04 PST 2001

Faustine writes:
>Tim wrote:
>
> >Besides the above points, a "rigorous and objective analysis" is work
> >for bean counters...and is only interesting to other bean counters.
>
>So von Neumann, Kahn, Schelling and Nash are boring, huh.
>I'd rather follow their examples than spend year after year chitchatting
>on Usenet. Such an intelligent and creative man, what a waste.

Then what the hell are you doing here, chitchatting on the list many
critics have characterized as Tim's private cesspool?

> > Faustine has gradstudentitus. She or he will likely get his >or her
>Masters or maybe even Ph.D. and will then vanish into the bowels
> >of the Office of Implementational Policy Assessment, commuting to work
> >each morning on the Metro, hoping to advance to GS-13 level before age
> >40, and generally living a life of quiet desperation. But her or his
> >analysis papers will be suitably dry and rigorous...and ignorable.
>

>For someone who claims not to know whether I'm a woman or not, your
>overactive imagination certainly got busy on the details. Unlike you, I'm
>not so easily trolled into showing my hand. So if whipping up some dreary
>banalities for me makes you feel better, go right ahead. Though you're
>so far off, it really is amusing.

Yes, Tim.  Come on.  Faustine will be doing Important Rigorous and
Objective Policy Analysis.  Her work will have Real Impact.  Members of
Congress and the Administration will invite her to come give them
briefings (at least those with sufficient clearance).  Large corporations
will be wetting themselves in their anxiety to have her join their Board
of Directors.

She just doesn't want to "show her hand" yet.  You know, all those
paparazzi can be so annoying. And it's hard to get important Policy
Analysis done when you're being pestered by all those lightweights
in Congress.

Besides: Gosh!  Just think: we'll be able to say that we knew her when.

- GH