Red Herring: Terrorism and the challenge to globalization.

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Wed Nov 14 23:20:16 PST 2001

> [Another glimmer of hope as even some of the mainstream business press is
> venturing beyond simple patriotic flag waving.  Posted in its entirety
> as its not online.]
>
> Terrorism and the challenge to globalization.
> BY PETER SCHWARTZ

Stupid article, and your comment doesn't make much sense either.

First, the terrorist attacks are the best thing that has ever happened
for globalization.  No one is a purer anti-globalist than bin Laden.
Now the anti-global movement is associated with death and terror.
Anti-globalization protests have been scaled back and cancelled all
around the world since September 11.  To the extent that radical Islam
is the new standard bearer for anti-globalism, the movement is doomed.
Contrary to the predictions of this article, the only hope for the
anti-globalists is to disassociate themselves as fast as possible from
Islamic terrorism.  That's going to be tough, given the images that are
burned forever into people's minds.

Second, we can update Gordon Gecko's line from Wall Street.  Instead of
"greed is good," now "globalism is good".  Globalism is a matter of
free association and free choice for billions of people.  It represents
market capitalism at its best, with each country providing those goods and
services at which it has a comparative advantage.  Globalism is freedom.

Third, cypherpunk technologies will promote globalism.  To the extent that
the future is cast as a battle between global capitalism and democracy,
technology is on the side of capitalism.  Democracy is an inherently
coercive institution.  It relies on physical force to achieve its goals.
Capitalism is non-coercive.  It is cooperative.  It invites, it does not
compel.  Cypherpunk technologies enhance the opportunities to interact
in cooperative ways, free of external coercion.  If they can't see what
you do, they can't control what you do.  Cypherpunks are supporting
globalism by their actions, whether they understand that or not.