Sedition

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Nov 12 21:34:06 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:37:39PM -0500, Faustine cited:
> http://www.dss.mil/training/adr/alleg/allegF.htm

Which says:
> Laws are on the books in 41 states to ban either the militias themselves or
> paramilitary training or both. (Ref 11)
[...]
> California. Anti-paramilitary training. Cal. Penal Code ' 11460.
[...]

Let's check the above, using California as an example since that's
what started this thread. What I found here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=62867026669+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Says in the relevant section:
 11460.  (a) Any two or more persons who assemble as a paramilitary
organization for the purpose of practicing with weapons shall be
punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one
year or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars by both.
   As used in this subdivision, "paramilitary organization" means an
organization which is not an agency of the United States government
or of the State of California, or which is not a private school
meeting the requirements set forth in Section 12154 of the Education
Code, but which engages in instruction or training in guerilla
warfare or sabotage, or which, as an organization, engages in rioting
or the violent disruption of, or the violent interference with,
school activities.

Faustine's loose definition of "paramilitary training" may seem to
apply, but if you read carefully, the legal definition used in the
California penal code is a bit narrower.

Naturally I'm not arguing that such laws are just, sound, or
advisable.

ObCypherpunk: Look for "instruction in hacking techniques or computer
breaking-and-entering not performed by a state-licensed instructor" next.

-Declan