POORLY SOCIALIZED VS POLITICALLY INCORRECT

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 8 15:54:57 PST 2001

C'punks,

For those of you, like Reese, who were unsure or mistaken as to the meaning
of "socialized" when I wrote that Reese was "poorly socialized," I refer you
to definition #2 of "socialize" from dictionary.com:

so7cial7ize (s sh -l z)
v. so7cial7ized, so7cial7iz7ing, so7cial7iz7es
v. tr.
	1. To place under government or group
	   ownership or control.
	2. To make fit for companionship with
	   others; make sociable.
	3. To convert or adapt to the needs of
	   society.

Please compare that to either definition of "politically correct," also from
dictionary.com:

politically correct
adj. Abbr. PC

	1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad
	   social, political, and educational
	   change, especially to redress
	   historical injustices in matters such
	   as race, class, gender, and sexual
	   orientation.
	2. Being or perceived as being
	   overconcerned with such change, often
	   to the exclusion of other matters.

So for future reference, if I should use the term "socialized" in reference
to a person, I mean definition #2.  If I use it in reference to a practice,
organization, market segment, etc.  I mean definition #1 or #3.  Clear
enough?

 S a n d y