Security-by-credential or security-by-inspection

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 8 15:17:23 PST 2001

on Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:58:04PM -0500, Trei, Peter (ptrei at rsasecurity.com)
wrote:
> > Tim May[SMTP:tcmay at got.net] wrote
> >
> > The confusion "Nomen Nescio" shows in thinking that an is-a-person
> > government tracking system fixes the airline security problem is common
> > these days. It's the same confusion that causes many to think national
> > I.D. cards will fix current pressing problems. They won't.
> >
> > This is the same "security ticket" problem that shows up in computer
> > security with malicious actors obtaining passwords or other access
> > permissions.

<...>

> I've been thinking along these lines myself - Tim got to the post
> first.
>
> There are two points I'd like to make.
>
> 1. The reasons which are publicly aired for installing the current
> 'security' regime are (in my considered opinion) NOT the
> actually reasons.
>
> US airlines insisting on IDs which match tickets has nothing to
> do with airline security, and everything to do with extracting as
> much cash as possible from the public.
>
> Before the Pan Am 800 accident, when people were freeer, there
> was a secondary market in airline tickets which the original
> purchasers could not, for one reason or another, use. If you
> bought a non-refundable return ticket, and then could not
> use it, you could sell it to someone who did want to travel
> on those dates to that location. The price varied, but was
> less than the cost to the repurchaser of buying a ticket from
> the airline.

<...>

> It's got nothing to do with security.

...and, as previously reported here, an age-old practice:

    It's an older practice than you'd think.  I just ran across the
    following while looking at some IBM history, regarding the
    "Hollerith Card":

    http://www4.wittenberg.edu/academics/mathcomp/bjsdir/history0.shtml

	Hollerith claimed he got [the punched data card] idea from
	"punch  photograph cards" used by rail road officials. Used to
	prevent the theft of railroad tickets from passengers,
	conductors would "record" the physical characteristics of the
	ticket owner (e.g. eye color,   hair color) by punching
	specially marked areas on the edge of the card. Hollerith used
	holes punched through the card, not on the edge of the card.

Maybe someone should propose a "three strikes" law for suicide terror
attacks.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]