Presidental Commission recommends NSA, NIMA, NRO -> CIA

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Thu Nov 8 06:42:40 PST 2001

[http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/08/inv.intelligence.restructuring.ap/index.html]

> WASHINGTON (AP) -- A presidential commission plans to recommend that
> three massive Pentagon intelligence agencies be shifted to the CIA --
> a move that represents the largest shake-up in the intelligence
> community in decades, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

> The agencies that would be transferred are the National Reconnaissance
> Office, which develops intelligence satellite systems, the National
> Security Agency, which is in charge of electronic intercepts, and the
> National Imagery and Mapping Agency, the newspaper said.

> Each of those agencies would be under the control of the CIA director,
> under the plan.

> The proposal is aimed at reducing rivalries and consolidating
> programs. It will be delivered to President Bush this month.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a far higher degree of
trust for the DoD and subsidiary agencies acting responsibily and to
protect the interests of US citizens in the US than the CIA.
Certainly NSA and NRO have massive amounts of power, but putting that
power in the hands of the CIA scares me a lot more.

Moving things to the FBI would scare me more, of course.  Mmm, FBI in
direct control of USD 20b/year of high-tech equipment, NSA's
cryptanalytic capabilities...

I wonder what the odds are for this passing?
Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]	ryan at havenco.com
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.	+44 7970 633 277
the free world just milliseconds away	http://www.havenco.com/
OpenPGP 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B  DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F