Enemy at the Door

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Nov 7 23:05:39 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 2.4 GHz there is little need for a parabolic to achieve 12dB or more
> gain.

Yes, there is.

> Small, flat, slot and yaggis may be constructed on circuit boards
> and placed in innocuous enclosures and even hidden in walls.

The panel antennas I've seen actually used (they are used in motels and
such to 'beam' the sensitivity down the central hall) are lucky if they'll
hit the other end of a football field.

Yagi's might make it to 3-5 miles, no more.

> 10-20 dB amps for 2.4 are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Yep, and illegal as hell if you hook them to a 802.11 anything.

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com