Enemy at the Door

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Nov 7 21:48:44 PST 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Dave Emery wrote:

> 	I have read reports of people running WiFi links of up to 20
> miles.

ONLY with a high gain parabolic. Not with a omni. Further, all it takes to
find the other dish is look down that line of site.

They're cheap cards, less than $100 each. The 802.11a, which are higher
frequency, higher bandwidth came out last month. The AP's are supposed to
hit the street on or right after the 15'th of this month.

I'm going with 802.11a myself. The 'b' stuff seems a tad to kid toyish to
me. YMMV.

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com