Entertainingly dangerous spam - Access and use your PC from anywhe

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 7 14:50:24 PST 2001

on Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:32:46AM -0700, Anonymous (nobody at noisebox.remailer.org) wrote:
> Subject: Re: Entertainingly dangerous spam - Access and use your PC from anywhere
> Sender: owner-cypherpunks at minder.net
>

> > I received the following entertaining spam message.
> > Their product
> > 	"allows you to securely access and use your office computer
> > 	from any Web browser anytime, anywhere."
> > I wonder who else it allows to access from any web browser, anywhere :-)
> >
> [..]
> > GoToMyPC allows you to securely access and use your office computer from
> > any Web browser anytime, anywhere.
> >
> > TELEWORKERS: Work on your office computer from home, easily and
> > securely, with just an Internet connection.
> > TRAVELERS: Access and use your computer and files from hotels,
> > airports, Internet cafes  anywhere with Web access.
> > AFTER-HOURS ACCESS: Access and use your office desktop, email and
> > other corporate resources after hours from any location connected to
> > the Internet.
> > DEMONSTRATIONS: Invite your prospective buyers to remotely view your
> > computer screen for on-the-fly demos.
> >
> > Download The Free Trial Now!
> [..]

The feature isn't entirely unlike, say, ssh, or VNC tunneled through
same.  Poking around the vendor's website indicates that there is some
security offered.  Note that this doesn't mean that the feature *is*
secure, but remote access to computer systems in a controlled manner
*is* possible.  Naturally, insecure access is also possible, and access
via untrusted hardware or software may pose a real risk.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/