Enemy at the Door

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Nov 7 07:19:25 PST 2001

> keyser-soze at hushmail.com[SMTP:keyser-soze at hushmail.com]
>

> Seems those opposed to the coming civil liberties crack down need to start
> employing some of the very same technology proposed to corral us.  For
> starters how about PC FaceCam to punish sneek and peekers?  Seems that if
> the data base of such a system were programmed to detect entry and
> descriminate family members or others who should have legit access to your
> property you could use it to deter their searches.(Probably a good idea to
> put a good UPS on the PC and FaceCam to thwart power interruptions, though
> why they would want to risk causing a tell tale time reset to one of you
> appliances I can't imaginge.)

	[...]

> Of course you could connect an automated firearm.  (Crime Stoppers Note:
> aways aim for the head to avoid protective vests)  Any lawyers on the list
> know what penalties might be brought.  I seem to recall that tying a
> shotgun to the door knob was ruled an "indescriminate weapon"  But a
> FaceCam controlled gun wouldn't be indescriminate.
>
> ks

Try explaining that to the widow of the fireman who was trying to save your
house.

...of course, that's assuming that it works perfectly, with no false
returns.

Reality rarely matches marketing. The accuracy rates for face recognition
are good
iff and only iff the subject is cooperating. With your proposed system, if
you forgot to
take off your sunglasses when you went in the house, you're probably dead.

Peter Trei