Stun Guns a Firearm?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Nov 6 10:55:45 PST 2001

On Tuesday, November 6, 2001, at 10:44 AM, Anonymous wrote:

>> According to new federal laws, a non-lethal stun gun *is* in fact a
>> firearm.  Supposedly enacted specifically to keep felons from
>> stun-guns,
>> it seems geared more towards keeping the populace from self-defence.
>
>    What! Care to elborate a bit more on this? When did this get passed,
> and what else was made illegal? Paintball guns? Pellet guns? Rocks? Or
> only rocks in a sock?
>   Tim is only too right -- this country is totally fucked.

As with all firearms laws, things vary widely from state to state (so
much for the Second Amendment applying uniformly...it's as if the First
Amendment varied from state to state...this will happen in the  near
future, I predict).

In Massachussetts, for example, stun guns are illegal (according to a
Web site on MA gun laws I found by typing "firearms "stun guns" " into
Google.

In California, they are legal, with some restrictions:

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12650.htm

"ARTICLE 7. STUN GUNS
12650. "Stun gun" as used in this chapter shall include any item, except
a taser, used or intended to be used as either an offensive or defensive
weapon capable of temporarily immobilizing a person by the infliction of
an electrical charge.
12651. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person may
purchase, possess, or use a stun gun, subject to the following
requirements:
(a) No person convicted of a felony or any crime involving an assault
under the laws of the United States, of the State of California, or any
other state, government, or country or convicted of misuse of a stun gun
under Section 244.5, shall purchase, possess, or use stun guns.
(b) No person who is addicted to any narcotic drug shall purchase,
possess, or use a stun gun.
(c) No person shall sell or furnish any stun gun to a minor unless the
minor is at least 16 years of age and has the written consent of his or
her parent or legal guardian. Violation of this subdivision shall be a
public offense punishable by a fifty dollar ($50) fine for the first
offense. Any subsequent violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.
(d) No minor shall possess any stun gun unless the minor is at least 16
years of age and has the written consent of his or her parent or legal
guardian.
12652. Each stun gun sold shall contain both of the following:
(a) The name of the manufacturer stamped on the stun gun.
(b) The serial number applied by the manufacturer.
12653. Unless otherwise specified, any violation of this article is a
misdemeanor.

12654. Each stun gun sold in this state shall be accompanied by an
instruction booklet. Violation of this section shall be a public offense
punishable by a fifty dollar ($50) fine for each weapon sold without the
booklet.
"

I've heard anecdotes from people who were hassled by cops when they wore
their stun guns on their belts. Similar to what often happens to people
when they openly wear knives, even though open carry is ostensibly
preferable in many places to concealment.

"Do not anger Happy Fun Court by openly exercising your rights!"

Besides varying from state to state, local satrapies often have their
own special laws about what their sheeple may own, carry, or use.

--Tim May
"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
--Unknown Usenet Poster