Re: DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2001® - New Yorker story false, says Pentagon

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Nov 4 19:01:43 PST 2001

At 07:00 PM 11/04/2001 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

Drudge flashes about lots of things.  It's nice to get a bit of context
besides just the URL, Jim...

This is the Pentagon claiming that the story about Delta Force getting shot up
during a raid on Afghanistan is incorrect.
Seymour Hersh is a journalist who's annoyed the Pentagon for decades,
printing stories they don't want printed.
This one they're denying before it even hits paper...

Also, I don't see any evidence that he "strongly debunked" the story;
he flamed it aggressively, but to strongly debunk something
you need facts, not just assertions.  You also need to have read the
story you're debunking, which the spokescritter indicates he hasn't.
The phrase " My guess is and my belief is that" also makes it clear that
he doesn't know the facts of what happened, though he does indicate
that US forces had a helicopter accident and some parachute accidents,
and comes close to implying some problems with friendly fire,
because he'd rather admit that than admit that The Enemy shot US soldiers.
Bunk.

PENTAGON: NEW YORKER STORY FALSE, NO SERIOUS INJURIES DURING DELTA RAID
Sun Nov 04 2001 15:13:35 ET

Joint Chiefs of Staff General Richard Myers strongly debunked a story
filed by the NEW YORKER's Seymour Hersh [set for publication on Monday]
which claims U.S. Delta members were seriously injured during a raid on
Mullah Omar's complex in Afghanistan.