FC: Maine National Guard bars Green Party leader from flying

Mqrhoads at aol.com Mqrhoads at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 11:08:55 PST 2001

    It is possible that this story happened exactly the way Nancy Oden wrote
it up, but I would be very surprised if there is not another side to this
story as well.  Most National Guard enlisted soldiers have barely heard of
the Green Party let alone would know who a Maine party leader was, what she
wrote in a local paper, or would care.
    The National Guard units of Maine, like National Guard units in every
other state, are on a very steep learning curve regarding how to manage
airport security.  It is not a duty that National Guard units routinely
trained for before Sept. 11 except for those Guard and reserve units involved
in Civil Administration.  The National Guard soldiers will make plenty of
mistakes, including big ones, along the way.  Members of Guard units come
from all civilian occupations and it is not impossible that a few might have
voted for Green Party candidates in 2000.  But to start a myth that every
local activist is being targeted by the National Guard for his or her
political views is just plain silly.
    As long as they are not carrying box cutters or pose a threat to other
passengers, no one cares if Green Party officers fly to their heart's content
from Bangor to Bute.  But one wonders if riding a bike would not be more
environmentally friendly than those polluting planes.

Mark Rhoads
U.S. Internet Council,
and, for the sake of full disclosure,
a former MP in the DC National Guard