Maine National Guard bars Green Party leader from flying

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 4 10:09:40 PST 2001

On 4 Nov 2001, at 8:59, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

> Senator Kerrey was cerrtainly a mass murderer, and the
> guardsmen who stopped her from flying were certainly thugs,
> but the reason there are arguably grounds for overlooking
> Kerrey's cynical murders and the guardsmen's thuggery ,is
> that in the face of this quite real threat even good people
> will do things that are hard to distinguish from the things
> that bad people do.
>
>          James A. Donald
I think "overlooking" is too strong a word,  I think it's more
reasonable to call it mitigating circimstances.  The guardsman
needs to have it explained to him (in a way that the lesson will
stick) that he does not have the authority to block travellers
because he doesn't like their attitude or their political views.
I'm not sure what disciplinary action is appropriate,  probably
a reptimand is good enough as long as it's made VERY clear that
any sort of repeat performance will result in sever consequences.

George