Soldiers in airports screening-out political dissidents

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Nov 4 09:36:57 PST 2001

On Sunday, November 4, 2001, at 03:10 AM, Raymond D. Mereniuk wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2001, at 0:49, Reese wrote:
>
>> What is precedent and case history of the "We reserve the right..."
>> signs in public establishments, restaurants for example?  How about
>> the "no shirts, no shoes, no service" signs, whether food is sold
>> at the establishment or not?
>
> You can deny services to people providing you have a consistent
> set of policies, ie - all folks are treated equally.  How do you deny
> air travel to some but not all of a similar nature.  I smell lawsuits
> once the paranoia is over with.

Actually, a person or business can "refuse to serve" on nearly any basis
except race or gender or a few other politically-correct things. "Tim's
Surf Shop" can choose not to wax the board of Reese, for whatever reason
it chooses.

This is why I said in an earlier piece that the Godfrey/Oden cases
should not be used to further the notion of a "right to travel" (if that
"right" is construed as trampling on the rights of Southwest, United,
Tim's Surf Shop, etc. to pick and choose their customers).

The focus should be on these things:

-- the presence of soldiers and cops in inspection points, with way too
much lattitude to inspect bags, pull people out of line, question their
reading materials, etc.

-- the requirement that ID be presented, which has very little to do
with airline security (for reasons Cypherpunks are very familiar with)

-- the general headlong rush into police state measures, with the
sheeple saying "I want to feel safer. I have nothing to hide. Please,
officer, take away my rights! Please, soldiers, check what we are
reading! I want _more_ rights taken away!!"

--Tim May, Occupied America
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.