A reasonable editorial assessment of Afghanistan status.

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Nov 4 00:51:17 PST 2001

    --
> http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/11/01/column.billpress/
> index.html In each case, the truth belies the praise. If
> the military's doing such a great job, why -- after three
> weeks of nonstop, intensive bombing of one of the poorest
> countries on earth, with no navy, no air force and only a
> ragtag band of soldiers using obsolete weapons -- is the
> Taliban still in power?

In past wars, CNN has been rather accurately called
"Communist News Network", but in this war they seem incapable
of mentioning the fact that our armed forces frequently fuck
up.

When the airforce started blasting Taliban front line
positions, the press's natural response was to interview the
Northern Alliance commanders, who were watching the raids.
The Northern alliance commanders all said that the targeting
sucked, and had to be fixed, that the bombing was
ineffectual, that the bombs were just rearranging the rocks,
that it had to be done differently.  It was very difficult to
discern this thumbs down from the cnn network.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     SxRU3lHqgtYAV0RggQdcQczDfESW1m138LY24Kfn
     4t7GYJnNJiF8/qHlhz4wEO/M1pCLlB3M2JNHJpkKn