Maine National Guard bars Green Party leader from flying

Raymond D. Mereniuk Raymond at fbntech.com
Sat Nov 3 21:47:33 PST 2001

On 3 Nov 2001, at 13:28, Tim May wrote:

> What else is expected in a police state?
> The soldiers say who can travel, and where.
> Fuck this nation. Fuck it to death and start over.

Tim, you are getting much too cynical!  The current events are very
much a knee-jerk reaction to threats many can't understand.  The
National Guardsman who played the boogieman is probably a local
good old boy with absolutely no cross cultural experience who
translates his fears into hate against any person who appears to be
any threat to what he thinks is important.

After December 7th 1941 the USA and Canada interned all
residents of Japanese descent and confiscated their property.  At
the time it apparently was a good idea, today it appears very
extreme.   What is happening today is still very minor and very likely
to go away as people realize the stupidity of their current fears.

The airport paranoia is nothing new in a global sense, Americans
have just not experienced it domestically.  Amsterdam airport has
many soldier looking fellows with their automatics level and their
fingers on the trigger.  In Singapore in 1980, the old airport, taking
a photo would get you arrested.  Much the same in Jakarta until
they opened the new airport in the mid-80s.  Same in India in the
1980s plus the metal detectors were so sensitive the iron in your
blood set them off and everyone was patted down.

I have many times experienced being paraded, through a gauntlet
of armed guards, on the tarmac beside the plane to identify my
baggage before it was loaded on the plane and I was allowed to
board.  Talking about rude experiences, try arriving at a US west
coast airport from southeast Asia with a Thai stamp in your
passport and then telling immigration your occupation is a
salesman.  Off you go for a detailed search where you must
rationalize your desire to visit the great nation of the US of A.

In 1984 at Dehra Dun airport, Uttar Pradesh India, the airport
terminal was a tent.  I knew I shouldn't take a photo but attempted
anyway.  The armed soldiers were there before I could get a shot
off and took my camera away - I got it back after the flight as you
were not allowed to take photos from the airplane also.  I was not to
be trusted.

As the armed soldiers were relieving me of my camera a business
associate managed to take the same shot with a much smaller
camera.  A copy of this print can be viewed at

http://www.fbntech.com/images/id-india.jpg

In retrospect this seems pretty funny but at the time they were ready
to cart me off to the local police station.  If I wasn't a foreign visitor I
would have been arrested.  In the late 80s I was travelling through
Jakarta airport with a stone axe I had purchased in carry-on
baggage.  It was an Irian Jayan looking piece which I figured I really
needed.  Airport security removed it from my baggage as they
feared I may run amok.  They returned the item upon landing in
Singapore where it was considered very funny.

Bottom line is muuch of what is going on now is a knee-jerk
reaction to a threat which many can't understand.  Over a short
period of time most of the most of the excesses should be
corrected as people have time to realize the extreme nature of
many of the current restrictions.

On a positive note the Anthrax attack through the postal system
may bring some very positive changes as people seek to reduce
the amount of mail they receive.  If you are connected Email is
faster and cheaper plus you can't get Anthrax through an Email
message.  If you use a Microsoft mail client you can still catch lots
of shit but it really doesn't hurt you.

On a the air travel side the current level of business travel really
wasn't justified.  Customers are always going to want to meet their
vendors face to face but travel for business meetings within one
business or government organization can easily be replaced with
video conferencing.

Actually why can't we change our government to where the
assembly of elected respresentatives is virtual rather than physical.
When you let them congregate in one place they detach themselves
from any obligation to the voters and are open to lobbying efforts
and making backroom deals.

With today's technology they could be based within an office in their
constiuency and linked to an assembly with video conferencing
technology.  An ideal system would make them available to their
constiuents for a portion of the day and linked to an assembly on a
video basis for a portion of the day.  You could cut the corrupting
influences and make the elected representative more responsive to
the voters.

Virtually

Raymond D. Mereniuk
Raymond at fbntech.com
"The Ultimate Enterprise Security Experts"
http://www.fbn.bc.ca/sysecurt.html