FC: Maine National Guard bars Green Party leader from flying

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Nov 3 19:42:58 PST 2001

On Saturday, November 3, 2001, at 07:02 PM, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 01:20 PM 11/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>

>> http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/11/03/1813233
>>
>>    Military Bars Green Party Leader from Flying
>>    posted by declan on Saturday November 03, @12:36PM
>>    from the airports-are-now-a-no-speech-zone dept.
>
> If the information provided in the article and your interview is
> reasonably accurate I suggest the Green Party, which is fairly popular
> in Maine, and others who oppose this sort of McCarthyesque law
> enforcement take direct action against them.  By that I mean they
> identify the "thugs", including towns and photos, and invite the
> opposition to shun them in every legal way possible (e.g., denying them
> service at restaurants, shops, service stations, etc.)

This terrible situation shows what happens when the Government--cops,
soldiers, agencies--have control over who is allowed to fly.

In the older system, general security was NOT tied to ID. No ID, no
tickets. The pressure exerted on this Green Party woman could not have
been applied as easily.

That this woman was obviously--if we are to believe what has been
reported--singled out for harassment is a sign of what's to come.
Consider the possibilities:

-- people like Cypherpunks put on a "watch list" and similarly harassed
and ultimately blacklisted

-- journalists whose very jobs depend on airline travel may find
themselves less willing to criticize government, lest they be added to
the blacklist.

-- any person on the outs with government may find himself added to the
blacklist

It really is no business of government to know the identities of those
whose bags/etc.  they are checking. Having government able to single out
some travellers for special processing is a recipe for this kind of
mischief.

BTW, the _wrong_ tack to take would be some argument about a "right to
travel," some over-ruling of Southwest's or United's right to pick its
customers as it wishes. The preferred approach should be to have no ID
at the _security_ checkpoint and to not have any laws requiring ID tied
to tickets. In other words, the situation as of a few years ago. Then
that Green woman would a) not have been stopped in the first place, and
b) would have been able to hop any other flight without anyone being the
wiser.

There is no particular reason to believe that having the guys with M-16s
know the True Name of the person whose bag they are checking will
improve security in any way.

--Tim May, Occupied America
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.