American Schools Need Flattening Too

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Fri Nov 2 22:06:11 PST 2001

Students in AmeriKKKan government-run schools have never had much freedom
of speech, since the courts have ruled that all administrators have to do
is mumble something about the "disruption" of the (laugh) "educational
process" and civil rights conveniently evaporate.

Still, there's something annoying when a high school student isn't allowed
to publicly question the War in Afghanistan.  Contrast this with the
Vietnam War, before the police state had been racheted up to its current
degree of tightness.

Asscruft now wants life sentences for anyone yelling "Anthrax" in a public
place, or sprinkling talcum powder on their friends.  "Zero Tolerance"
moves from the classroom to the rest of society.

In other news, we have received credible information from several usually
reliable sources that some unspecified person or group might commit an
unspecified terrorist act against an unspecified target in the near but
unspecified future.  We urge everyone to be on their highest alert, and
ignore anything that sounds like screaming children being cluster bombed.

-----

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A judge ruled Thursday that a 15-year-old sophomore
cannot form an anarchy club or wear T-shirts opposing the U.S. bombing of
Afghanistan because it would disrupt school. Katie Sierra was suspended
from Sissonville High School for three days for promoting the club. She
was also told she could not wear T-shirts with messages such as: "When I
saw the dead and dying Afghani children on TV, I felt a newly recovered
sense of national security. God Bless America."

In a complaint filed with her mother, Sierra argued her right to free
speech was being denied.

Circuit Court Judge James Stucky agreed that free speech is "sacred" but
he found that such rights are "tempered by the limitations that they ...
not disrupt the educational process."

[Congress shall make NO LAW abridging the freedom of NON-DISRUPTIVE
 speech (Guffaw)]

Sierra said she'll pursue the dispute. "I don't want war. I'm not for
Afghanistan," Sierra said. "I think that what we're doing to them is just
as bad as what they did to us, and I think it needs to be stopped."

James Withrow, lawyer for the Kanawha County Board of Education, argued
that an anarchy club was inappropriate because students "do not feel that
their school is a safe place anymore." "Anarchy is the antithesis of what
we believe should be in schools," Withrow said.

Sierra's attorney, Roger Forman, said she is "being punished for
expressing her opinion."

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+