RIAA Wants Background Checks on CD-RW Buyers

Jei jei at cc.hut.fi
Thu Nov 1 01:47:09 PST 2001

http://www.bbspot.com/news/2001/10/riaa.html

Technology News
Monday  October 29 10:52 PM EST

RIAA Wants Background Checks on CD-RW Buyers

Washington DC - The RIAA is lobbying for vendors of CD-RW drives to
conduct background checks and require a 3 day waiting period before the
drive can be sold.

The extensive background check would include cross referencing credit card
numbers with local merchants sales logs looking for purchases of
dual-cassette decks between the years of 1980 and 1987. It would also
include checking for installation of file sharing software, knowledge of
the Internet, and the ability to hum. Any of which would bar the purchaser
from receiving his drive.

Saaaatan? "A CD-RW can be a dangerous weapon when it falls into the wrong
hands," said RIAA President Hilary Rosen, "You wouldn't sell a gun to a
convicted felon and you shouldn't sell a CD-RW drive to a Gnutella user.
The 3 day waiting period gives us time to verify that no copyrighted
material is on the purchasers hard drive and to make sure they have a
membership in the Columbia House CD club."

Current owners of CD-RW drives would be required to obtain a license for
use of the drive or face stiff fines. Licenses could be obtained by
enrollment at a local RIAA Education Camp where the horrors of copyright
violation would be instilled with the use of electro-shock therapy.

"I was alarmed when I heard that children had the ability to burn CDs
right on their computers," said Senator Strom Thurmond, "We've tried to
educate parents on the dangers of children playing with fire, and now
these death merchants sell them that ability in a shiny metal box." Other
Senators voiced their concerns about the possible violations of privacy in
the proposed legislation, but since it was called the Copyright Patriotism
Act they are unable to oppose it.

"The RIAA has gone too far this time. There are uses for CD-RW drives that
don't violate RIAA copyrights like burning multiple copies of Microsoft
Office for friends and neighbors," said Matthew Sodor an opponent of the
legislation. Other News: