DMCA UCITA, where's the beef? (off topic)

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Thu Nov 1 09:01:58 PST 2001

At 07:24 AM 11/1/2001 -0500, cubic-dog wrote:

>Aside from Dimitry,

(who *hasn't* been successfully prosecuted yet, just arrested - that
distinction may continue to be meaningful for another few weeks so I'm
sentimental about it .. )

>Has any "person" been successfully prosecuted under
>the DMCA? or under UCITA? or any other of these
>anti-piracy laws in the US?

I'm not sure what you mean when you put person in quotes like that.

Yes, there have been some successful criminal cases against copyright
infringers - the legislation of particular interest was called the "No
Electronic Theft Act" (UCITA is mostly concerned with licensing details,
not piracy per se).

A self-congratulatory press release from the US DOJ after the first NETA
prosecution in 1999 can be found at
<http://www.cybercrime.gov/netconv.htm>; there have been other arrests,
which, like most federal prosecutions (and, indeed, most prosecutions) were
resolved with guilty pleas, not trials, so there weren't exciting Slashdot
stories to read.

>Operation Sundevil took place a relatively long
>time ago. We all hear dire warnings relative to
>software piracy and rumors of the Secret Service
>showing up and shutting a company down for bootleg
>M$ Office products and such things. But has anything
>like this actually happened?

Yes. See

<http://www.techtv.com/news/hackingandsecurity/story/0,24195,3341992,00.html>
<http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases/2000-02-08.196.phtml>

for examples if you're talking about professional pirates - if what you
mean is "Will I get arrested if I install the same copy of Microsoft Office
on 3 or 4 computers?" the answer is "No", but if those 3 or 4 computers are
at a workplace, and employees learn of the copying and are later laid off
or fired or otherwise become disgruntled, there's a modest chance that
they'll exact some revenge by reporting the company to the SPA/BSA, who
send grouchy letters and threaten audits, and actually do them once in
awhile, which tend to be embarassing and disruptive and expensive.

--
Greg Broiles -- gbroiles at parrhesia.com -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961
5000 dead in NYC? National tragedy.