CDR Re: Robert Leen, and getting Jim Bell a fair trial

Seth Finkelstein sethf at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 31 14:51:32 PST 2001

> Seth,
>
> I've publicly asked that no private e-mail be sent to me about
> the Bell case. Do it in public or not at all.

	Sorry, I must've missed that. What I thought you said was
not "no private e-mail", but

http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/current/msg00190.html

    "Remember, do not e-mail, telephone or visit me or you're
     subject to subpoena. Same for tarred Declan, or anybody else
     pissants Choate and Leen are eager to CDR."

	I didn't think that such messages to you were going to put me
at high risk of being subpoena'ed (that's simply my calculation).

> You could be tarring me as others have done, for whatever noble
> reason. Offense intended.

	Under the circumstances, I won't take offense. An accusation
like that is hard to address, but I've always thought that getting
huffy about it would be counter-productive to any disproof.

> You are way behind the curve on this matter,

	Could be. Reading some postings doesn't make me an expert on
the case, and I don't claim to be. That's a reason why I sent my
comments privately, rather than making a public issue.

> and privately whispering advice is cowardly,

	Disagree. I thought it was appropriate. After reading your
*public* postings, finding them interesting, and doing some more reading
of my own, I thought you were probably being very unfair to Robert Leen.
But I really had no desire to get into a long debate with Tim May or
similar. That's not cowardly, that's rational.

> not unlike noble journalists and attorneys have done to me. Show
> your face, no stalking, thanks.

	Umm, I didn't send anything anonymously. And if your e-mail
is being monitored or subpoena'ed, note I'm not hiding my face. Private
advice seemed to be sensible. Or at least that was my view of it.

__
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at mit.edu  http://sethf.com