update.532 [Black Hole Computing]

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Mar 31 13:22:12 PST 2001

That was very interesting.  Kind of reminds me of
Cypherpunks Semi-Arch-Nemesis David Brin's "Earth",
where people messing around with small black hole creation
cause the risk of Bad Things happening.
In practice, we're less likely to see black hole computers
developed than Nanotech Grey Goo computers,

At 01:41 PM 03/31/2001 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>PROGRAMMABLE BLACK HOLE COMPUTERS.  One usually
>thinks of a black hole as an omnivorous object swallowing energy
>and spitting some of it back in the form of Hawking evaporation
>radiation, consisting of particles created in pairs out of the vacuum
>near the edge of the black hole.  In principle, a tiny black hole can
>be formed in a way that encodes instructions for performing
>calculations.  Correspondingly, the answers could be read out from
>the escaping Hawking radiation.  Why use a black hole at all?
>of detecting gravity waves with LIGO and other interferometric

Does "LIGO" stand for "Light In, Garbage Out"?  :-)