SPAM

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Sat Mar 31 07:15:47 PST 2001

Hi John,

'mail', 'httpd'? I don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about.
einstein has a 54d19h32m uptime as I write this. None of my services have
been down or non-functional in that time.

You need to have your DNS checked, it's not picking IP's correctly.
Specifically when it is given a name->IP lookup that has two, yes I say
two, IP's provided. einstein is supposed to have two NIC's installed. I
removed one because I isolated my internal network completely because of a
variety of exploits. As a result that IP isn't available and it times out,
your services (be they httpd, mail, or whatever) should then try the
alternate IP. Apparently they're not. It's worth noting that timeout may
be as great as the default 2m high level TCP timeouts.

You can try flushing your DNS cache's and try it again or you could set a
direct IP-hostname link in your /etc/hostname file.

204.96.2.99	einstein.ssz.com	einstein

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, John Galt wrote:

> It works this time!  Okay, I'll bite, what's down?  The last two times you
> posted this link, it coincided with a servic dying.  First, it was mail,
> then it was httpd.  So what is it this time?
>
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Jim Choate wrote:
>

> >You're on the 'wrong' list...
> >
> >http://einstein.ssz.com/cdr

       Beware gentle knight, there is no greater monster than reason.

                                             Miguel de Cervantes

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com