"Educating" the Court about Cypherpunks Considered Harmful

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Mar 31 09:04:39 PST 2001

>Seth Finklestein wrote:

>  >	If you want to do something to help Jim Bell in getting a good
>  >defense, here is my suggestion, take it for what it's worth to you:

>  >	Explain the whole "cypherpunks", err, state of mind. Give the
>>guy a chance. Look at it this way - if he is in collaboration with the
>>prosecution, your discussion with him can hardly make things much
>>worse. However, if he is not, if he is an honest defense attorney
>>doing the best he can in a bad situation, then you are in a good
>  >position to aid him. The risk is low, the potential benefit is large.

Trying to "explain" the Cypherpunk ideology and outlook (such as it
is), is not likely to be helpful. Not that John's or Declan's or
anyone else's job is to help Bell in his defense. Bell chose his path.

Frankly, the more the court, or any of its officers, knows about the
CP ideology, the less sympathetic and useful they will be.

Anyone think this would be useful?:

"Your Honor, I was given a lengthy briefing by members of the list,
given copies of their posts and their manifestos. I now understand
them. I now understand why Jim Bell is advocating the
assassination-by-lottery of judges and prosecutors. Fuck the State,
Man!"

Useful? Didn't think so.

Look, folks, Bell does not represent my views--and vice versa. Bell
arrived late on the scene to the CP list, circa 1995 if I am
recalling the dates correctly, having already written about his AP
scheme. He lacked crypto and digital cash, and heard from someone
else that our list had discussions of it. He learned enough about
digital cash to weave it into his AP scheme. Given that digital cash,
especially the "true" bidirectionally untraceable kind, does not yet
exist, it is technologically impossible at this time to set up a
robust AP system. There are other issues making AP not realistic in
the near future.

(By the way, there had been discussions, though rarely advocacy, of
untraceable contract killings in the early days of the list. I, for
one,  talked about these things as early as 1988, in my Crypto
Anarchist Manifesto. Not advocating them, just pointing out the
technological and political forces and trends. Murder pools have also
been discussed in fiction, as early as Jack London, IIRC.)

The notion that Bell's defense will be "helped" if only the Court or
its various prosecuting and defending attorneys are given an
education in The Cypherpunk Way is just plain ludicrous.

Also, I don't recall Bell being charged on anything relating to his
AP ideas, even if his writings helped make a prosecution more likely.
The "interstate stalking" stuff doesn't seem to have _any_ contact
with the Cypherpunks list. So why would educating the Court and its
officers in Cypherpunks issues help?

Should Bell ever be charged based on the AP ideas, then maybe expert
witnesses could be called to point out that AP was technologically
impossible at the time Bell was alleged--for instance--to have set up
a real AP system.

But this is not that case.

Personally, I refuse to be drawn into either defending or repudiating
Bell. Bell has one particular slant on things. I didn't find him one
of the more interesting debating partners when he was on the list, so
I had little contact with him. Probably this is what has saved me
from being called as a witness for either side.

A journalist called me about the Bell case and I declined to say much
about Bell. What little I _did_ say about Bell he agreed would be off
the record and would not be taped or written about in notes. Nothing
juicy (for those prosecutors now reading this!), just my impressions
and recollections.

I probably should have said nothing to this journalist. If Declan is
forced to testify,  beyond a very basic acknowledgement that he was
the author of the articles in question, I sure plan to refuse to ever
speak to any journalist again about anything which someone might
twist in front of a jury. "Hey, Declan, nice weather we're having,
eh?" I'll continue to be Declan's friend, presumably, but I just
won't talk to him about anything that may get extracted from him in
this or in any future star chamber prosecutions.

  (Unless I "need" to, a la Toto and Bell, to get my story out, to
spin things in my direction---a sad state of affairs when largely
neutral parties are unwilling to speak to journalists and only those
with axes to grind want their stories told.)

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns