U.S. Secret Service raids E-Gold currency exchanger

James M. Ray jray at free-market.net
Fri Mar 30 20:38:05 PST 2001

At 8:13 PM -0800 3/30/01, Tim May wrote:
>What sort of "nastygrams" did your lawyers send?
>
>Article writers are free, in a free society, to pick the headlines they wish.
>
>If I received "nastygrams" for the _headlines_ I attached to articles
>I wrote, I'd tell the authors of the "nastygrams" to fuck off. If
>they took further action, I think killing them would be fully
>justfied.
>
>What statist universe have you moved into, Jim?

Ah...

(You're not back in tune with why you don't miss cpunks all
*that* much without a good, quick, Tim-May: "killing them
would be fully justfied.")  I'm fully aware of cypherpunks' views
on libel law, for me they're not the issue in the Gold Age case
IMO.

The lawyer thought the false headline libelous*, and wanted the
Wired site to (do what they've since done and) fix it. Personally,
I think the case against Parker's the outrage here, so if you're
all kind enough to pardon me letting lawyers be lawyers, I'll be
leaving now.
JMR

* Declan didn't (and apparently doesn't ever get to) write the
headline for stories. I thought the headline was a weird joke
at first, frankly, but then I remembered an experience with a
letter I once wrote for the Miami Herald, where the headline
and caption completely contradicted everything I said.