NIST Symmetric Key Block Cipher Algorithms workshop

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 21:56:24 PST 2001

At 11:34 AM 03/27/2001 -0500, George at orwellian.org wrote:
>Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> advertised:
>#
>http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=01-7497-filed
>
>Really, Declan.
>First, there was waiting for DoubleClick at your site.
>Now, you are releasing articles via an URL at another
>"DoubleClick" type site, akamaitech.net?

Akamai isn't a DoubleClick type of service -
it's a distributed caching system that allows web sites
to get better performance by caching static web content
on large ISPs and other sites likely to be nearer to readers
than the content owner's web site.

Akamai _could_ do detailed who's-reading-what tracking if they
wanted to  (I don't know if they do), but their basic objective
is to ship pages fast and bill the page owners for bandwidth.