Screwing Jim Bell and Cypherpunks

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Mar 30 09:34:52 PST 2001

Sandy wrote:

>Hey, I don't know about you guys, but I participate in a Cypherpunk
>DISCUSSION group.  At least, that's what it says on my Cypherpunk charter
>membership certificate, ID card and secret decoder ring.

Doesn't matter what you know, what matters is the evidence
provided by others about a cypherpunk movment. Its most
reputable actors, its most convincing statements, its most
celebrated manifestos, its most publicized threats to the
commonweal.

Declan's motion to quash, and the evidence it claims
Declan has about the cypherpunk movement, are perfect
examples of how a movement is turned into a conspiracy.
By turning state's evidence upon advice of an attorney,
upon advice of your boss. This happened with Time and
it is happening with Wired. As with many prior squeezings
of confidants.

Not much Declan can do about it if he wants to remain
a journalist paid regularly to get those desiring press coverage
to tell him secrets or simulations thereof. Not single Declan
out for this, the same is true of Jessica Stern, 60 minutes,
or anybody who claims they are privileged, trust me, that is,
your lawyer. Let me introduce Mr. Jones.

In the Bin Laden trial yesterday the day's testimony was
about the similarity of acts of war by the US and terrorism
by bin Laden's followers. With Judge Sand and a defense
attorney going at it (while the jury was not present):

   http://cryptome.org/usa-v-ubl-24.htm

As often discussed here, freedom fighter is synonymous
with terrorist. As Jim Bell argues in his briefs, he was
the one stalked by the feds. As Declan has said, Jim
was doing what Declan does, gathering information on
the federal terrorism movement. Question remains of
who Declan will side with, as with any privileged party,
when the wires are attached to privates to assure
truthtelling.