Screwing Jim Bell and Cypherpunks

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Fri Mar 30 08:35:31 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 10:35:24AM -0500, John Young wrote:
> intend for the "cypherpunk movement?" WTF movement,
> by the way is being alleged and what is the evidence
> being concocted?

WTF movement indeed.

One of the biggest tactics of the feds seems to be creating a
"movement" or some other sort of organization, then accusing people of
leading, supporting, creating or otherwise being a part of it.

I can think of lots of examples....  Steve Jackson Games, DeCSS,
EarthFirst, OK city, etc.  (It's not just for geeks, that's for sure).

The theory of a "movement" is part of the FUD surrounding Bell.  It's
not that HE's assassinating people, but that his "followers" might.

Subpoenas getting email addresses for Cypherpunks subscribers might
not be part of Bell's case, but are easy to imagine for similar
federal witch hunts.  Welcome to the "movement."

  -- Greg